I'm here with Hank Moody, author of celebrated underground novels like "South
of Heaven","Seasons in the Abyss",and most famously,"God Hates Us All".
- How are you, Hank?
- I'm a little under the weather,but it's good to be here. Thanks.
- Some folks have compared the wait for your next novel to the decade-plus wait
for the new "Guns N' Roses" album. Which one do you think will see the light of
- Well, I certainly hope that I beat Guns'N'Roses to the punch, because I want
to get on Oprah's book club.I want that sticker from the book club. I want to
get on that show, and I want to ask her about that scene in "Beloved" where she
squats and pees. How many takes did she do? Was she method?
- In all seriousness, your blog for "Hell-A Magazine" is prompting a lot of
underground water-cooler talk.
- It's great.
- Thank you,but it's really... It's more like pissing out of my ass than
You know, it's just... things bother me, and I vent,I write it down.
- What's your latest obsession?
- Just the fact that people seem to be getting dumber and dumber.
I mean, we have all this amazing technology, and yet...
computers have turned into basically four-figure wank machines. The Internet was
supposed to set us free, democratize us, but... But all it's really given us is
Howard Dean's aborted candidacy and... 24-hour day access to kiddy's porn.
People... They don't write anymore. They blog. Instead of talking, they text...
No punctuation, no grammar, L.O.L. this and l.M.F.A.O. that. It just seems to me
that it's just a bunch of stupid people pseudo-communicating with a bunch of
other stupid people in a protolanguage that resembles more what cavemen used to
speak than the king's English.
- Yet, you're part of the problem. You're blogging with the best of them.
- Hence my self-loathing, you know.