- I'm the money.
- Every penny of it.
- The Treasury has agreed to stake you in the game.
- "Vesper." Well, I do hope you gave your parents hell for that.
- Thank you.
Your boss must be well-connected. I've never seen so much go out the door so
- Or quite so stylishly.
May I ask you where it is?
- Ten million was wired to your account in Montenegro... with a contingency for
5 more if I deem it a prudent investment. I suppose you've given some thought to
the notion that if you lose, our government will have directly financed
What looks good?
So you're telling me it's a matter of probability and odds. I was worried there
was some chance involved.
- Well, only if you assume the player with the best hand wins.
- So that would be what you call "bluffing"?
- You've heard the term. Then you'll also know that in poker you never play your
hand. You play the man across from you.
- And you're good at reading people?
-Yes, I am. Which is why I've been able to detect an undercurrent of sarcasm in
- I'm now assured our money is in good hands.
- You don't think this is a very good plan, do you?
- So there is a plan? I got the impression we were risking millions of dollars
and hundreds of lives on a game of luck.
What else can you surmise, Mr. Bond?
- About you, Miss Lynd?
Well, your beauty's a problem. You worry you won't be taken seriously.
- Which one can say of any attractive woman with half a brain.
- True, but this one overcompensates by wearing slightly masculine clothing
being more aggressive than her female colleagues which gives her a somewhat
prickly demeanor and ironically enough, makes it less likely for her to be
accepted and promoted by her male superiors who mistake her insecurities for
Now, I'd have normally gone with only child but, you see, by the way you ignored
the quip about your parents... l'm gonna have to go with orphan.
- All right.
By the cut of your suit, you went to Oxford or wherever and actually think human
beings dress like that. But you wear it with such disdain my guess is you didn't
come from money and your school friends never let you forget it. Which means you
were at that school by the grace of someone else's charity, hence the chip on
And since your first thought about me ran to orphan that's what I'd say you are.
Oh, you are... I like this poker thing. And that makes perfect sense since MI 6
looks for maladjusted young men that give little thought to sacrificing others
in order to protect Queen and country. You know... former SAS types with easy
smiles and expensive watches. Rolex?
- Beautiful. Now, having just met you I wouldn't go as far as calling you a
- No, of course not.
- But it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine.
You think of women as disposable pleasures rather than meaningful pursuits. So
as charming as you are, Mr. Bond... I will be keeping my eye on our government's
money and off your perfectly formed arse.
- You noticed?
- Even accountants have imagination. How was your lamb?
- Skewered. One sympathizes.
- Good evening, Mr. Bond.
- Good evening, Miss Lynd.